Open January 27th, 2020 through Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Geffen Academy educators approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy teachers possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Teachers’ innovation is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. We are committed to a humane working environment and also recognize that teaching goes beyond the life of the mind. Geffen Academy educators seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
Under the direction of the Science department at the Geffen Academy at UCLA, Geffen Academy Educators will be responsible for the delivery of an excellent program of secondary school instruction, including participation in the creation of a course of study, offering excellent instruction to the Geffen Academy’s students in as many as five (5) courses each term, and participating in the life of the Geffen Academy in a robust and fully engaged manner. This is a bargaining unit covered position.
The Geffen Academy seeks a teacher with a biology background to teach core science classes for the 10th grade and multiple concentration(elective) courses. This is a great opportunity for a progressive science educator to join a new school implementing a challenging curriculum that seeks to integrate and collaborate with other disciplines. The Geffen Academy’s location on the UCLA campus offers unparalleled opportunities for students to experience science in a world-class research institution.
Core Duties and Functions
• Assist the Head of School and Admissions Director in student recruitment activities
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with other faculty in creation of a Geffen Academy program that meets the need and interests of the school’s students
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty in devising programs that enable the Geffen Academy’s students to take advantage of the school’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, evaluate and choose books, digital materials, experiential opportunities and other academic resources
• Communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues, including but not limited to department head, Dean of Students, academic advising and college guidance staff, Registrar, and athletic team coaches
• Participate in department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, assess the continued relevance and success of course offerings within the department
• Participate in committee work, whether the committee’s focus is solely within the department, or reaches to other parts of the Geffen Academy enterprise
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in interdisciplinary instructional programs
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, serve as instructors/mentors/advisers of students’ independent projects
• Consistent with Geffen Academy leadership’s direction, engage in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, orient new educators and establish appropriate mentoring relationships
• Meet as needed and directed with the department
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in continuing professional development and/or training activities
• Be available to provide proper coverage of instructional work for both scheduled and unscheduled absences of colleagues
• Adhere to Geffen Academy and the University of California applicable policies, procedures, and established protocols. Read and adhere to the school norms, protocols and requirements as outlined in the school Handbooks
• This list of duties is not exhaustive. Department heads will be expected to assure that all aspects of the Geffen Academy program within the ambit of their disciplines is led by capable staff who are carefully supervised
• A Geffen Educator’s workload may vary from term to term and year to year. Each Geffen Academy Educator’s annual contract will reflect the workload anticipated for the time covered by the contract.
In addition, candidates should have;
• A sincere commitment to professional development in pedagogy and content area
• A passionate commitment to science, and a desire to work with all types of learners
• Proven ability to develop curricula and teach effectively using inquiry-based learning
Ideal candidates would have an undergraduate degree in a scientific subject, 2-3 years of secondary teaching experience and the ability to create inquiry/phenomena-based curriculum for upper school students. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred and a strong background in secondary education with a clear understanding and embrace of the Geffen Academy’s mission, vision, and values. A record of outstanding success as a secondary or university educator. Experience in a “bring your own device” educational setting and/or commitment to BYOD program. Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to articulate and explain instructional issues to colleagues, students, and families. Must be self-directed and able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks subject to frequent interruption. Must be capable of developing and sustaining close, effective working relationships with colleagues in the department and from other parts of UCLA and of the Geffen Academy staff on matters of interdisciplinary and institutional concern. Experience in a variety of instructional and co-curricular/extra-curricular roles within a secondary school would be a plus.
Apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/apply/JPF05247 The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.”
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)