Open date: August 1st, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Pediatrics in the Division of Critical Care are seeking a PhD or MD/PhD for a post-doctoral fellowship in the laboratory of Dr. Anil Sapru. Applicants need to have a PhD preferably in the fields of molecular biology, translational health sciences or a related field.
The laboratory of Dr. Anil Sapru focuses on the pathogenetic and prognostic significance of biological markers in children with critical illnesses. Specifically, his research work focuses on the relationship of genetic, transcriptomic and protein biomarkers with clinical outcomes among pediatric patients suffering from a number of diseases or complications while in the intensive care unit, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), stress-induced hyperglycemia, transfusions and more. The ultimate goal being understanding the mechanisms by which these biomarker relationships may inform the testing of new therapies. The Sapru Lab has successfully designed and carried out numerous studies involving high-throughput pathway-based proteomic and genotyping assays. Therefore, the lab is very well-versed with analytic techniques and specialized software required to analyze the data generated from these types of studies. As part of the efforts to identify biomarkers, the laboratory collects numerous patient-derived biological samples to build large repositories to be used to answer numerous research questions. Dr. Sapru has an excellent track record of productive research mentorship for research associates, post-doctoral and medical fellows and collaborations over the last several years.
• PhD in fields of molecular biology or translational health sciences or a related field
• Solid understanding of common laboratory approaches to biomarker analyses and molecular biology
• Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and quickly adapt to new tasks
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work with computational and data scientists
• Ability to work independently
• Very comfortable extracting protein, RNA and DNA
• Sterile technique
• Meticulous laboratory technique
• Experience in Next-Generation Sequencing highly desired
• Experience in bioinformatic analyses highly desired
• Ability to maintain laboratory notebook and data in a organized manner
• Comfortable working with human pathogens and samples including blood, urine and more
• Independently conduct research as determined with Principal Investigator
• Writing of scientific manuscripts, abstracts and other supporting documentation
• Participate in laboratory meetings, educational sessions, specific safety training sessions
• Provide mentorship to other members of the lab
• Ensure that laboratory is up-to-date on all safety regulations
Interested applicants may apply through this link:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy. (http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required