Open November 10th, 2020 through Friday, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
After nearly a century in operation, UCLA Extension ranks as the largest and most respected continuing education provider in the state of California. UCLA Extension serves an important outreach vehicle for its home campus, UCLA, and supports the dynamic and continually changing regional workforce in the Los Angeles area as well as the needs of international organizations and communities. Our mission is to provide knowledge and connections for people to achieve their personal and professional goals.
This course culminates the learnings of Reporting I and II into a comprehensive look at what it means to work in media today and the possibilities and realities of the industry. Discussion includes the real-world aspects of planning, pitching, and executing stories and content on a variety of platforms. Students come away with a realistic and advanced view of how to succeed in modern journalism. Lessons also cover the specialized fields of journalism and media, so students can begin to target in a more definitive way where they want to focus. This signature learning experience in the UCLA Extension Journalism Certificate helps students take that final step towards a media career and feel confident in their area of specialization. This is the course most graduates of traditional journalism programs wish they had taken.
• Develop or update course syllabus to meet campus approval requirements, in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director and Program Manager.
• Prepare course materials and learning assessments appropriate to the subject matter.
• Deliver instruction as assigned.
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform as appropriate.
• Post final student grades to the transcript system in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after course end date.
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner.
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner.
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies responsive to Extension’s diverse student population.
• Respond to student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director and Program Manager as needed.
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session.
• A minimum of 7-10 years of experience as news reporter with proven track record of successful writing and reporting news at a digital pace for global audiences on multiple platforms
• Advanced degree in Journalism or related discipline preferred
• Experience college level preferred
• Experience teaching adult learners preferred
• Commitment to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Active affiliation and participation in relevant professional associations such as Society of Professional Journalists strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Highly effective interpersonal skills.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy”
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)