Open February 18th, 2021 through Sunday, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
In 2020-21 Geffen Academy will be extending its language offerings. We welcome applications for educators of French language.
An ideal candidate for this position has a track record of excellence in teaching middle school and/or upper school language classes. A candidate must also possess a profound interest in collaborating with peers in the creation and implementation of a curriculum that focuses on the life of languages in Los Ángeles, is standards-based, incorporates authentic materials and is driven by communicative objectives, project-based learning, and, ultimately, service-learning. Further, the candidate should aspire to the co-creation of sound pedagogical practices that adhere to current research, the interests of students and the mission, vision and values of Geffen Academy, specifically by helping students build robust communication skills, by fostering cultural understanding and empowering students to arrive at a deeper awareness of self and other.
Importantly, the department acknowledges the needs of different language learners. Thus, a candidate skilled in teaching heritage language learners, non-heritage and the wide gamut of language learners found in a classroom is highly preferred.
Lastly, the World Languages Department will be using ACTFL’s markers of proficiency to place students in appropriate language classrooms. Candidate should be familiar with ACTFL proficiency rubric. Training in ACTFL proficiency testing is a plus. Moreover, knowledge of Advanced Placement, SAT Subject and the National Exam recommended.
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with other educators in creation of a Geffen Academy program that meets the need and interests of the Geffen Academy’s students
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty in devising programs that enable the Geffen Academy’s students to take advantage of the Geffen Academy’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, evaluate and choose books, digital materials, experiential opportunities such as museum visits and theatrical performances, and other academic resources
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, assist in the selection and administration of proficiency assessments
● Effectively communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues, including but not limited to department head, Dean of Students, academic advising and college guidance staff, Registrar, counselor/psychologist, and athletic team coaches
● Participate in department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, assess the continued relevance and success of course offerings within the department
● Participate in committee work, whether the committee’s focus is solely within the department, or reaches to other parts of the Geffen Academy enterprise
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in interdisciplinary instructional programs
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, serve as instructors/mentors/advisers of students’ independent projects
● Consistent with Geffen Academy leadership’s direction, engage in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, orient new educators and establish appropriate mentoring relationships
● Meet as needed with the department and curriculum planning teams as needed and directed
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in continuing professional development/training activities
● Be available to provide proper coverage of instructional work for both scheduled and unscheduled absences of colleagues
● A Geffen Educator’s workload may vary from term to term and year to year
● Adhere to Geffen Academy and the University of California applicable policies,
procedures, and established protocols. Read and adhere to the school norms, protocols and requirements as outlined in the school Handbooks
Apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/apply/JPF06204 .The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.
More information about this recruitment: https://www.geffenacademy.ucla.edu
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)