Open date: March 16th, 2021
Next review date: Tuesday, Feb 1, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Feb 1, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Extension is the open-access, self-supporting continuing education division of UCLA. The Department of the Arts offers a wide variety of certificate programs and courses, including post-baccalaureate credit-bearing (400-level), continuing education (CEU) credit, and non-credit bearing general interest courses.
Course disciplines in the Writers’ Program span subject areas such as Fiction and Nonfiction Writing, Poetry, Screenwriting (Film and TV), Editing & Publishing, and more. Our courses and certificate programs offer students the opportunity to learn from highly qualified practitioners who are passionate about teaching.
Applications to teach are accepted throughout the year in order to fill immediate program needs and to increase the depth of the instructor pool, but interviews will only be scheduled with qualified applicants who can fill anticipated openings.
Screenwriting Instructor – General
Qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and teaching experience in the following topic area(s) are encouraged to apply:
Podcasts – Narrative nonfiction, Fiction, etc.
Comics and Graphic Novels
Other areas related to screenwriting not listed here (Please note: we are not currently hiring instructors for playwriting/live theatrical events)
We are currently searching out innovation in these areas and are open to proposals that expand our program offerings. All instructors in this field have credits of produced work, and we are especially interested in those with current/recent credits in order to help students understand and navigate the
evolving landscape of these fields.
Classes can be online or in person. Classes held in person meet once a week for 10 weeks, typically evenings from 7-10pm PT. Online classes are offered in two formats: deadline-driven and asynchronous, or live remote instruction over web conferencing. Many in person courses also take advantage of the online course format for distributing course materials, syllabi, assignments, and feedback.
- Implement inclusive teaching strategies that engage learners from a variety of backgrounds, identities, abilities, and experience levels with the goal to achieve equity in learning outcomes.
- -Develop or update course syllabus to meet campus approval requirements, in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director and Program Manager.
- Use subject-matter expertise to impart knowledge to students and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e. make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum.
- Utilize Canvas as a course support platform in in-person courses, and as the delivery platform in online and hybrid courses.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system in a timely manner, no later than 2 weeks after course end date.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Communicate with Program Director and Program Staff in a timely manner.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all new hire paperwork, submitting updated quarterly syllabus, posting bio and photo on the UCLA Extension website, accepting quarterly contract, submitting required textbook orders, and communicating classroom needs to the appropriate people.
- Participate in required orientations and instructor training programs.
- Assisting in occasional program activities such as competition/scholarship judging, guest lecturing, community events, script consultations (for additional compensation), etc.
- Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations.
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of Screenwriting.
- Respond to student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- Maintain a record of final grades for up to 13 months following the last class session.
- At least one significant published or produced credit, or commensurate industry experience.
- Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity.
- Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
- Proficiency in or willingness to learn the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools.
- Ability to access, understand, use, and complete tasks and activities through established online portals (Canvas, Zoom, etc.), with and without training.
- College-level and/or continuing education teaching experience preferred.
- Experience designing curriculum and measuring student performance preferred.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Instructors are hired on a quarterly contract basis. Compensation starts at $ $66.00 per instructional hour. Example: 10-week course = 30 instructional hours. Compensation varies with unit valuation and instructional hours of courses. Compensation varies with unit valuation and instructional hours of courses. Onsite instructors receive additional compensation for parking.
Because Extension is a division of UCLA, all Extension degree-credit instructors and courses must be formally approved according to the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California. Eligibility to teach a course is contingent upon this formal academic approval. Once approved, teaching
assignments are “by agreement.” The Instructor’s Contract outlines the deliverables for the course, the course schedule, and the compensation terms, subject to Extension policies and procedures. UCLA Extension makes no commitment to hire an instructor until it has sent and received a signed Instructor
Contract. Should the course section an instructor plans to teach be cancelled for any reason, the Instructor Contract, including rights to compensation for future section meetings, is voided.
In an effort to promote and maintain a healthy environment for our students, visitors and employees, UCLA is a smoke-free site. Smoking is prohibited within the boundaries of all UCLA owned, occupied, leased, and associated building and facilities.
Please follow the “apply now” link to submit the following (all materials are required -- please include
Cover letter, CV, and Statement in a single document):
Current CV -- including produced credits and teaching/public speaking/seminar experience
Statement (250-500 words) articulating your readiness to employ inclusive teaching practices for classrooms with gender, age, ethnic, cultural, and sexual identity diversity
Course Proposal – optional, but helpful if you want to propose a new course
"The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy”
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)