Open date: July 28th, 2021
Last review date: Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
We are seeking an experienced Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. for a post-doctoral fellowship in the laboratory of Grace Aldrovandi, M.D., CM. Applicants need to have a Ph.D preferably in molecular biology or virology, an interest in HIV-1 infection, and an interest in the microbiome and multi-omic investigations as it relates to human health and disease.
Dr. Aldrovandi is known for her studies of breast milk transmission of HIV-1, the virologic differences in HIV-1 transmitted via breast milk versus in utero transmission, HIV-1 pathogenesis, drug-resistance, and the long-term metabolic and immunologic consequences of HIV-1 infection. While continuing to probe the above areas of HIV-1, Dr. Aldrovandi investigates the microbiome and its influence on infant immune development and on the pathogenesis and transmission of HIV-1 in healthy, HIV-exposed and HIV-infected infants as well pregnant and post-partum women. Furthermore, many of Dr. Aldrovandi’s studies include multi-omic investigations integrating data from the microbiome, proteome, and metabolome.
As a specialist in Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Dr. Aldrovandi also explores new and emerging pediatric pathogens. For the past year, her laboratory has focused on investigations of SARS-CoV-2 and became CLIA-certified for these investigations.
With this, new tools have been added to the laboratory so the opportunity to learn about automation as it applies to all the laboratory investigations exists.
In addition to running her own research laboratory, Dr. Aldrovandi is the Chief of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, the Laboratory Directors of both the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials network (IMPAACT) and AIDS Clnical Trials Group (ACTG). Dr. Aldrovandi is a passionate investigator with a wealth of knowledge seeking a post-doctoral fellow with these qualities.
• Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Biology or Virology or related field of study <5 years from completion of PhD
• Solid understanding of molecular biology and common laboratory approaches in molecular biology
• Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and quickly adapt to new tasks
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work with computational and experimental scientists
• Ability to function independently in the laboratory Skills:
• DNA, RNA and protein extractions
• Sterile technique
• Meticulous laboratory technique
• Experience in PCR, cloning, Next-Generation Sequencing desired
• Experience in automation with liquid handlers desired (with opportunity to learn during your Fellowship)
• Working knowledge of laboratory notebook management and data management
• Must be comfortable working with human pathogens and human samples including blood, stool, urine, saliva, cervicovaginal lavage samples, and more.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conducting research as determined with Principal Investigator (PI)
• Publish results of independent laboratory research in collaboration with lab PI, including writing of scientific manuscripts, abstracts and other supporting documentation
• Participate in laboratory and Divisional seminars, meetings, educational sessions, general and specific safety training and other training sessions
• Provide mentorship and teaching to other members of the lab which is comprised of PhD or MD students, post-docs, undergraduate students and summer students.
• Performs other duties and laboratory responsibilities as requested.
Interested applicants may apply through this link:
MD/PhD or PhD candidate (in Molecular Biology, Virology or related field)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required
Request of references to be reviewed
Help contact: KSmiley@mednet.ucla.edu
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.