Position overviewPosition title: Academic Administrator III / Recruitment, Outreach, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Activities (DEI) Coordinator
Open date: March 9th, 2022
Most recent review date: Monday, Jun 6, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Job Title: Recruitment, Outreach, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Activities (DEI) Coordinator in the Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences (EPSS), UCLA
Payroll Title: Academic Administrator III
Appointment: 100% time
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences (EPSS)
The UCLA Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences facilitates the discussion of issues surrounding the understanding and protection of our home in the universe through discovery, education, and outreach. EPSS promotes and facilitates an environment that is dedicated to faculty research, undergraduate and graduate education, and interdisciplinary collaborations among a variety of fields. The Department is dedicated to providing vibrant research and education by seeking fair, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environments.
Recruitment and Outreach
• Develop, enhance, and execute strategic goals related to equity, diversity, and inclusion and assist with the recruitment, running, marketing and advertising of our program
• Increase awareness of department mission and research strengths among UCLA faculty, staff, and students through regular communications, open house events, etc.
• Actively advertise EPSS majors within current UCLA undergraduate population, specifically among other impacted physical sciences majors like math and chemistry.
• Communicate attractiveness of EPSS (research strength, opportunities for research experience, excellent faculty to student ratio, etc., peer mentorship and study assisted programs) to prospective majors
• Seek and maintain relationships/partnerships with community colleges of the LA Basin as well as regional Cal State campuses and HBCUs and MSIs
• Assist with recruitment campaigns at the undergraduate and graduate level with a presence at campus fairs and booths at relevant society meetings
Strategic Planning & Development in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Coordinate and align actions and resources with the mission of the equity, diversity, and inclusion committee as well as assist in defining strategy regarding past, present, and future goals of the committee
• Create, develop, and run programs that enhance the education experience of undergraduates and graduates through programs including but not limited to summer bridge programs, summer research experiences for undergraduates supported by NSF and other extramural funds, peer mentorship and tutoring programs for newly arriving undergraduate and graduate students
• Develop and seek intra and extramural funding (including project conceptualization) in order to support the operation and expansion of the department’s mission
• Maintain database of professional outcomes for EPSS students
Teaching and Mentoring
• Teach up to one course per academic year based on departmental needs
• Provide mentorship as it pertains to outreach and recruitment of students
• Identify opportunities to support current undergraduate and graduate students
Reporting to the chair of the equity, diversity, and inclusion committee from the Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences, this position will be responsible for three broad areas: strategic planning and development, outreach and recruitment, and teaching and mentoring.
Minimum qualifications for the position are a Ph.D. or equivalent in Geosciences or a related field and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Additional qualifications might include: knowledge of and experience in outreach and recruitment; successful project direction; practical and theoretical teaching/mentoring experience; college-level teaching experience and understanding of teaching technologies. Previous experience in grant writing is preferred.
To apply, candidates must submit (a) a curriculum vitae, (b) cover letter, (c) statement of teaching, (d) statement on contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and (e) 3 references (including names and contact information). Applications will be accepted via the UC Recruit website at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF07304 beginning March 9, 2022 and reviews of submitted applications will commence on May 15, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
A Ph.D. or equivalent in Geosciences or a related field and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. To learn more about how UCLA thinks about contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, please review our Sample Guidance for Candidates and related EDI Statement FAQ document.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
Please provide contact information for your references. Your references may or may not be contacted for letters of recommendation.
Help contact: email@example.com
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees must (a) provide proof of receiving at least one dose of a COVID-19 Vaccine no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment and provide proof of Full Vaccination no later than eight weeks after their first date of employment; or (b) if applicable, submit a request for Exception or Deferral no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.