This position has teaching and program oversight roles and is an ideal opportunity for a mid-career professional with vision and expertise on the integration of technology into new environmental approaches and paradigms for research and education with senior faculty and industry partners at the highest level. Candidates must be able to initiate innovative research in either architecture or environments in the public sphere that engage robotics and sensing technology. Some experience with digital fabrication is expected but fabrication should not be the primary focus or expertise for applicants for this position.
Duties and Requirements
• Reports to the Chair of the Department of Architecture & Urban Design.
• Responsible for teaching, acquisitions and research associated with the technology initiatives central to the mission of the department.
• Oversee daily activities at the off-site lab facility which include some digital fabrication, research initiatives engaging robotics technology, and acquisitions of new technologies.
• Liaisons with students, staff, faculty in the department of Architecture and SOAA as needed.
• Serve as an active partner and liaison between the faculty, students and industry partners.
• Teach two summer technology lectures and two technology seminar courses during the academic year
• Identify research and development projects with potential of becoming ongoing initiatives and oversee their progress
* Advanced degree in Architecture is required
Responsible for coordinating the acquisition of new technologies and equipment for the new off-site lab; develop policies related to the use of the new technologies for students and faculty;
Responsible for identifying innovative research possibilities within the newly expanded program; oversee research initiatives.
Responsible for the supervision of one lab supervisor.
Responsible for teaching two summer technology lectures and two technology seminars during the academic year.
Weekly meetings with the Chair
Monthly meeting with program faculty and staff
Quarterly meetings with all faculty, including department Chair
Direct contact, teleconference, email, phone and by appointment
Candidates are requested to furnish a letter of intent with a curriculum vitae, one or two examples of work, with a description of each project (non-returnable), and the names, phone numbers, mail and e-mail addresses of three references able to provide a knowledgeable evaluation of the applicant’s qualifications. Examples of work should be submitted both digitally on this site, and as hard copy portfolios to the Department of Architecture & Urban Design, 1317 Perloff Hall, Attn: Technical Director Search Committee, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Proof of U.S. Citizenship or eligibility for U.S. Employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). The University of California, Los Angeles, is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Letter of Intent
- Samples of work - Don't forgot to also submit a hard copy portfolio to the department for consideration