The UCLA Department of Music in the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music invites applications for a Professor of Piano position (Associate/Full). Duties include but are not limited to: teaching a studio of solo piano undergraduate and graduate students, coaching chamber music, and participating in the creation and teaching of graduate seminars, as well as overseeing doctoral dissertations; collaborating with instrumental, vocal, and composition faculty; and contributing to departmental/university service. Commitment to outreach, service, and diversity.
The Music Department seeks an individual with an internationally established piano teaching and performance profile, a complete knowledge of core solo and chamber piano repertoire, initiative in innovative projects and some experience in new music. The successful applicant will be a passionate, creative, and inspiring teacher, performing artist and colleague whose career demonstrates originality and enterprise. Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications and professional experience. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2017.
Required: Master’s degree in piano performance and five years of professional experience.
Preferred: DMA and at least five years of teaching experience in higher education, established performance profile, and discography focusing on the core piano repertoire, with additional experience in contemporary/newly commissioned piano works.
Located in a global cultural capital, the UCLA Department of Music boasts conservatory-level training within the context of a world-class research university. Enrollment is limited, providing students with a comprehensive music school experience, abundant performance opportunities, and extensive individual attention from faculty. Allied with the Musicology and Ethnomusicology Departments in the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music, the Music Department values both specialization and integration between fields.
Applications must be submitted to the UC Recruit website online at:
Candidates should submit:
- comprehensive curriculum vitae
- a letter of interest with special attention to the role of the 21st century teacher/pianist in education and performance.
- a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses issues critical to the mentoring of students and their development into young artists (maximum one page)
- a list of online links to 30- 60 minutes of video recordings showing a full range of styles and best representing the applicant
- a statement of the applicant’s involvement and/or leadership in the promotion of equity and diversity in an educational or performance setting (maximum one page)
- names and contact information of five to six professional references. Please do not upload reference letters; the search committee will contact references directly at an appropriate time in the process.
Application deadline : January 9, 2017
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Letter of Interest) - A letter of interest with special attention to the role of the 21st century teacher/pianist in education and performance.
Statement of Teaching - A statement of teaching philosophy that addresses issues critical to the mentoring of students and their development into young artists (maximum one page)
List of Online Links - A list of online links with 30- 60 minutes of video recordings showing a full range of styles and best representing the applicant
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - A statement of the applicant’s involvement and/or leadership in the promotion of equity and diversity in an educational or performance setting (maximum one page)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 5-6 references required (contact information only)