Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Architecture and Urban Design seeks a Lecturer to co-teach with lead instructor Mark Mack for the 2017/2018 MACK-SUPRASTUDIO at the IDEAS campus.
SUPRASTUDIO is a research platform in architecture education that advances experimentation and cross-discipline collaboration among professors, students, and industry collaborators to expand the boundaries of architectural practice. The program is a one-year post-professional course of study that leads to a Masters of Architecture degree. Throughout the year, students work on a dedicated research topic to build a continuous and in depth line of study. SUPRASTUDIO fills a current void in architecture education by providing a dedicated program and satellite campus for advanced applied research for the future of architecture and urban design.
MACK SUPRASTUDIO. Los Angeles, California
The studio’s mission will be to explore how architecture and design can enhance performance based activities and how to create an experimental platform for mind bending form, space and image through the use new visual and robotic technologies. Architecture as Performance can expand the limitations caused by standard material consciousness and financial restrains, leading to find a new client base and applications appreciative of new spatial concepts and experiences.
Rather than thinking of architecture as a static housing for events or performances, a new architecture using the advances in temporary staging, robotized movements, light and visual eruptions will emerge. This in turn can stimulate new experiences achieved through new visual and ephemeral technologies that can take over portions of the public realm, to expand architecture and urban space into a performance oriented space. Music, Theater and Visual Art will conspire and transport us into a new realm of urban and architectural experiences. Pre requisite include but are not limited to experiences and desires to work at the connectivity of performance oriented fields with real and virtual architecture.
For more information about the studio, please visit:
UCLA is seeking to fill a one-year Lecturer appointment to Course coordinate for instructional offerings and co-teach this curriculum under the supervision of Mark Mack. The Lecturer’s primary responsibility is to assist co-teach and support the lead instructor in his day-to-day tasks and functions as they relate to course, curriculum or program development.
Reports to the Chair of the Department of Architecture & Urban Design
• Under the leadership of the SUPRASTUDIO lead Faculty, co-teach SUPRASTUDIO;
• Under the leadership of SUPRASTUDIO lead Faculty, teach two technology seminars;
• Under the leadership of SUMMER lead Faculty, co-teach the SUMMER studio and technology lecture;
• Responsible for the planning and coordination of the studio activities including students management, assignments, field trips, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, publications and other project-related curriculum activities;
• Help develop the studio curriculum and instructional plan;
• Prepare and deliver lectures & tutorials;
• Mentor, evaluate and monitor students on academic progress and research projects;
The ideal candidate will be future oriented, and have experience in a broad range of design disciplines, such as digital design tools, physical computing, digital fabrication, interactivity and sensors, media technology such as projections, augmented/ virtual reality and beyond.
We anticipate this appointment to be a one-year Lecturer position for the period July 2017 to June 2018.
Minimum requirements include:
• Advanced degree (M. Arch or equivalent) in architecture and/ or media arts;
• Prior experience teaching design
• Background in architecture, media arts, computational design or equivalent;
• Advanced knowledge of 2D/3D video & projection mapping;
Additional experience desired includes the following:
• Design of musical, theatrical, events or other performing arts;
• Experimental media and experience design with augmented and virtual reality
• Robotics, electromechanical systems, sensors;
• Design and fabrication of full-scale development prototypes;
• Digital fabrication;
How to apply:
Candidates are asked to submit a letter of intent with a curriculum vitae, examples of work as a PDF with additional links to relevant videos and web content, and the names, phone numbers, mail and email addresses of three references who are able to provide a knowledgeable evaluation of the applicant’s qualifications. Examples of work should be submitted digitally at the following link: recruit.apo.ucla.edu/apply
UCLA Architecture & Urban Design
Attn: MACK LECTURER Search Committee
1317 Perloff Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents