UCLA’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics is seeking to fill an Assistant Project Scientist position. The Assistant Project Scientist candidate will have at least 5 years of postdoc experience and will perform independent research on studying the atomic structures of reovirus and herpesvirus by cryo electron microscopy (cryoEM).
The Assistant Project Scientist will also be responsible for performing various mammalian cell culture, virus cultivation and titration, purification of viruses for cryoEM study, efficiently operating electron microscopes, interpret and organize data for presentation and publication, managing a wet lab and supervise and train new postdocs, graduate students and undergrads. The Assistant Project Scientist position is a 12-month non-Senate position.
Interested candidates should apply on-line by November 17, 2017 on this site:
Start date: January 31, 2018 or as soon as mutually agreeable.
Specific Responsibilities include:
• Handle various cell lines for virus cultivation under the strict protocol of UCLA biosafety regulation.
• Perform PCR and cloning
• Design and implement protocols for virus purification, culture cells, purify viruses, make cryoEM grids, operate electron microscopes, collect data and perform data analyses.
• Design and execute experimental studies on atomic studies of Reovirus and Herpesvirus using cryo electron microscopy
Qualification and Additional Duties:
• Candidate should have at least 6 years of research experience in virology, molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology in an academic setting or equivalent, PhD preferred.
• Candidate should have prior training and research experience working with virus culture, cryo EM/ET and data analyses.
• Candidate should have first-hand experience on supervising wet lab, keeping records of lab expenditure, chemical inventory, and monitoring lab associates on lab duties following standard biosafety regulations.
• Candidate should have experience in overseeing undergraduate students, graduate students, or new postdoctoral trainees in the lab.
• Ability to work on multiple projects efficiently, and simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently on both individual and collaborative projects.
• Assisting with preparation of grant proposals.
• Preparation of manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
• Required to communicate well with collaborators, lab mates, and other scientists worldwide.
• The candidate will report directly to the Principal Investigator and will carry out experiments and analyze the data generated with minimal to no supervision.
• The candidate will be required to complete all appropriate safety training as mandated by the campus’s Environmental Health & Safety Office
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy.
University policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of applicable State and Federal laws.
The Department is Particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from a diverse background and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for disadvantaged students or The (School) at UCLA is committed to building a more diverse faculty, staff and student body as it responds to the changing population and education needs of California and the nation.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 references required (contact information only)