WELLNESS JOB DESCRIPTIONS FOR GEFFEN ACADEMY EDUCATOR
Geffen Academy faculty approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy teachers possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Teachers’ innovation is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. We are committed to a humane working environment and also recognize that teaching goes beyond the life of the mind. Geffen Academy teachers seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
Summary: Under the direction of the head of the relevant academic department(s) at Geffen Academy and the relevant division director(s), Geffen Academy Educators will be responsible for the delivery of an excellent program of secondary school instruction, including participation in the creation of a course of study, offering excellent instruction to the Academy’s students in as many as five (5) courses each term, and participating in a the life of the Academy in a robust and fully engaged manner. This is a bargaining unit covered position.
The Position: Geffen Academy Educator in the Wellness department(s).
● Collaborate with the Wellness Director and other educators in creation of an Academy wellness program that meets the need and interests of the Academy’s students
● Develop, organize, implement, and evaluate appropriate program of wellness lessons in accordance with the stages of human development
● Collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty and staff in devising programs that enable the Academy’s students to take advantage of the Academy’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
● Prepare and analyze a new student wellness assessment program that is guided by the most recent and convincing research and the expressed interests of prospective students and their families
● Evaluate and choose books, digital materials, experiential opportunities such as museum visits and theatrical performances, and other academic resources
● Provide safety instruction to students and establish standards of safe student behavior
● Cultivate in each student an understanding of and commitment to health education and personal hygiene
● Communicate any concerns with student health, conduct or learning problems with parents and the administration
● Represent the Academy’s wellness program at parent evenings, recruitment events and conferences
● Coordinate the wellness aspects of interdisciplinary instructional programs and student exchange programs
● Be available to students and parents for any and all wellness related issues
● The successful candidate should have a Master’s degree or higher in public health, psychology, physiology, or a related field
● A successful track record working with secondary school students and teaching social emotional learning lessons
● A clear understanding and embrace of the Academy’s mission, vision and values
● Mastery of health and wellness pedagogy
● An excellent record of establishing and maintaining safety in a secondary school setting
● Strong background in secondary education with a clear understanding and embrace of the Academy’s mission, vision, and values
● A record of outstanding success as a secondary education
● A joyful embrace of teaching and coaching
● The ability to think and act strategically combined with a strong commitment to providing an excellent experience for each student
● Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to articulate and explain instructional issues to colleagues, students, and families
● Must be self-directed and able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks subject to frequent interruption
● Must be capable of developing and sustaining close, effective working relationships with colleagues in the department and from other parts of UCLA and of the Academy staff on matters of interdisciplinary and institutional concern
● Experience in a variety of managerial and supervisorial roles within a secondary school or company would be a plus
Apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.eduapply/JPF03474 . The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.”
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
Additional teaching materials - In addition to a course syllabus please submit some other teaching materials, of your choosing, that reflect your approach to teaching and your work with students.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)