Geffen Academy faculty approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy teachers possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Teachers’ innovation is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. We are committed to a humane working environment and also recognize that teaching goes beyond the life of the mind. Geffen Academy teachers seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
Summary: Under the direction of the head of the Visual Arts Department at Geffen Academy at UCLA, Geffen Academy Faculty will be responsible for the delivery and design of an excellent dance program in a secondary school context, aligned to the mission of the Geffen Academy at UCLA. Dance faculty will be responsible for the creation of engaging, high quality dance instruction and dance performances, including participation in the creation of a course of study, offering excellent instruction to the Academy’s students in as many as five (5) courses each term, and participating in the life of the Academy in a robust and fully engaged manner. This is a bargaining unit covered position.
The Position: Geffen Academy Educator in the Visual Arts/Theater Arts department.
● Collaborate with other faculty in the creation of an overall Academy program that meets the needs and interests of the Academy’s students
● In collaboration with relevant UCLA faculty, design dance programs that enable the Academy’s students to take advantage of the Academy’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
● Evaluate and choose resources for use by the Dance faculty
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, evaluate and choose books, digital materials, experiential opportunities such as museum visits and theatrical performances, and other academic resources
● Assist the Head of School and Admissions Director in student recruitment activities
● Communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues, including but not limited to department head, Dean of Students, academic advising and college guidance staff, Academic Coordinator, Registrar, counselor/psychologist, and athletic team coaches
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, assess the continued relevance and success of course offerings within the department
● Prepare and analyze the Academy’s dance curriculum in the context of the University of California course approval requirements, the needs of the students, and the anticipated expectations of accrediting agencies
● Recruit candidates for available positions within the department, including possibly teaching assistants and student teachers
● Regularly report to the Chair of Visual Arts on the professional performance of any additional dance staff
● Create a learning environment where students feel safe, welcome and challenged
● Participate in committee work, whether the committee’s focus is solely within the department, or reaches to other parts of the Geffen Academy enterprise
● Participate in department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in interdisciplinary instructional programs
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, serve as instructors/mentors/advisers of students’ independent projects
● Reevaluate course placement with input from students, parents, faculty and student services colleagues
● Consistent with Academy leadership’s direction, engage in co-curricular and extracurricular activities
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, orient new faculty and establish appropriate mentoring relationships
● Meet as needed with the department
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in continuing professional development activities
● Be available to provide coverage of instructional work for both scheduled and unscheduled absences of colleagues
● Be available to students and parents for any and all department related issues
● This list of duties is not exhaustive. Department heads will be expected to assure that all aspects of the Geffen Academy program within the ambit of their disciplines is led by capable staff who are carefully supervised and appropriately compensated
● A Geffen Educator’s workload may vary from term to term and year to year. Each Geffen Academy Educator’s annual contract will reflect the workload anticipated for the time covered by the contract. Teaching or other duties beyond those set forth in a contract may lead to additional compensation
Qualifications: A practicing artist in the field of dance is preferred. The candidate must bring practical experience as a dancer and academic engagement with the discipline of dance. Faculty members should be broadly competent and able to teach a variety of courses in dance/theater and in a secondary school curriculum; should be comfortable with both formal and content based approaches; and should possess a strong knowledge in dance as a art form that is informed by current thinking on the field as well as emotional sturdiness necessary for maintaining high level performance throughout the academic year. The candidate should also have a clear understanding and embrace of the Academy’s mission, vision, and values, a record of outstanding success as a secondary or university educator. Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to articulate and explain instructional issues to colleagues, students, and families. Must be self-directed and able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks subject to frequent interruption. Must be capable of developing and sustaining close, effective working relationships with colleagues in the department and from other parts of UCLA and of the Academy staff on matters of interdisciplinary and institutional concern. Experience in a variety of instructional and co-curricular/extra-curricular roles within a secondary school would be a plus.
Apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.eduapply/JPF03479 . The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
Additional teaching materials - In addition to a course syllabus please submit some other teaching materials, of your choosing, that reflect your approach to teaching and your work with students.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)