INNOVATION TRACK JOB DESCRIPTIONS FOR GEFFEN ACADEMY EDUCATOR
Geffen Academy faculty approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy teachers possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Teachers’ innovation is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. We are committed to a humane working environment and also recognize that teaching goes beyond the life of the mind. Geffen Academy teachers seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
Summary: Under the direction of the head of the relevant academic department(s) at Geffen Academy and the relevant division director(s), Geffen Academy Educators will be responsible for the delivery of an excellent program of secondary school instruction, including participation in the creation of a course of study, offering excellent instruction to the Academy’s students in as many as five (5) courses each term, and participating in the life of the Academy in a robust and fully engaged manner. This is a bargaining unit covered position.
The Position: Geffen Academy Educator in the I-Track department(s).
● Consistent with the department’s goals participate in the design and development of curricula that develops an innovator’s mindset in the Academy’s students. These habits include systems thinking, human-centered design, iterative solutions development and persistence
● Support students in a dynamic process of project planning and execution.
● Help foster opportunities for cross-departmental collaboration and proactively identify resources within and outside of the school to support student projects.
● Assist the department in producing exhibitions of student work.
● Attend departmental meetings and contribute to development of a innovative dynamic department
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with other faculty in creation of an Academy program that meets the need and interests of the Academy’s students
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty in devising programs that enable the Academy’s students to take advantage of the Academy’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
● Communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues, including but not limited to department head, Dean of Students, academic advising and college guidance staff, Academic Coordinator, Registrar, counselor/psychologist, and athletic team coaches
● Participate in department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, assess the continued relevance and success of course offerings within the department
● Participate in committee work, whether the committee’s focus is solely within the department, or reaches to other parts of the Geffen Academy enterprise
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in interdisciplinary instructional programs
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, serve as instructors/mentors/advisers of students’ independent projects
● Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in continuing professional development activities
● Be available to provide proper coverage of instructional work for both scheduled and unscheduled absences of colleagues
● Be available to students and parents for any and all department related issues
● This list of duties is not exhaustive. Department heads will be expected to assure that all aspects of the Gefen Academy program within the ambit of their disciplines is led by capable staff who are carefully supervised and appropriately compensated
● A Geffen Educator’s workload may vary from term to term and year to year. Each Geffen Academy Educator’s annual contract will reflect the workload anticipated for the time covered by the contract. Teaching or other duties beyond those set forth in a contract may lead to additional compensation
● Should have a Master’s degree in a related field and a strong background in secondary education with a clear understanding and embrace of the Academy’s mission, vision and values
● Programming experience with creative coding environments, such as Processing, Openframeworks, Scratch, TouchDesigner, vvvv or equivalent.
● Experience with digital design tools such as Blender, Gimp, Inkscape, Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent.
● Experience with interactive installations and / or public display of work including performance and social practices.
● Unquestionable personal integrity, excellent judgment, sound instincts, diplomacy and patience, and strong work ethic.
● Emotional strength; able to make and communicate decisions that some families will find difficult to understand or accept.
● Strong background in secondary education with a clear understanding and embrace of the School’s mission, vision, and values.
● Experience in operating educational programs.
● The ability to think and act strategically combined with a strong commitment to providing an excellent and accessible educational experience for each student.
● Must be self-directed and able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks subject to frequent interruption.
● Must be capable of developing and sustaining close, effective working relationships with other staff and faculty.
● Strong background in design thinking and/or project-based learning.
● Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to articulate and explain complex issues to Academy senior staff, families, and students.
● Must be capable of developing and sustaining close, effective working relationships with other senior staff on matters of interdisciplinary and institutional concern.
● Highly perceptive and intuitive.
● Exceptional listening skills and sensitivity to the needs of others.
● Collegially inclined with peers; a willing communicator and collaborator; enthusiastic team player.
● Comfortable working within a fast paced dynamic school environment.
Apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/apply/JPF03482. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
Additional teaching materials - In addition to a course syllabus please submit some other teaching materials, of your choosing, that reflect your approach to teaching and your work with students.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)