Position overviewPosition title: Instructor
Open date: July 3, 2023
Next review date: Sunday, Dec 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Sunday, Jun 30, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Extension is considered one of the top programs of its kind, offering to more than 35,000 students per year approximately 4,500 classes and non-degree certificate programs to meet the professional development, continuing education and personal enrichment needs of the full spectrum of nontraditional students as well as companies and organizations throughout and beyond the Los Angeles region.
Course / Program Description
The Department of Business, Management, and Legal Programs offers over 350 professional courses and 17 certificate programs that are designed to meet the needs of business professionals at all levels, including those who want to update their skills, change careers or prepare for industry certifications or exams. Our programs are designed to provide flexible enrollment options for students to initiate their professional development anytime during the year. Through our commitment to academic excellence, professionals can acquire the skills and knowledge they need to face a world of continual change.
This course provides insight about the tools, techniques, and strategies needed to develop content that draws in your target audience along their consumer journey, optimize your website architecture, and build inbound links to improve search rankings. Learn about the collection of marketing, site development, and public relations tactics that form a winning Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy to meet your business goals and increase site traffic and sales from the organic search channel. Topics covered include content marketing, on-page optimization, and inbound link building.
We seek instructors who are world-class experts in their field with extensive hands-on experience as community leaders and working professionals.
Applications to teach are accepted throughout the year in order to fill immediate program needs and to increase the depth of the instructor pool.
A teaching position is now available for a SEO for Marketing course. Qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and teaching experience in the following topic area(s) are encouraged to apply:
- Website architecture
- Building inbound links to improve search rankings
- Strategies for increasing site traffic and sales from search channels
- Content marketing
- On-page optimization
- Using marketing, site development, and public relations tactics to form a successful SEO strategy
This course is delivered IN PERSON. Candidates must be available to teach in person in Los Angeles.
- Develop and/or update course syllabus in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
- Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in assigned format (in-person, online or hybrid)
- Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform for in-person courses and as the delivery platform for online and hybrid courses
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades
- Post final student grades to the transcript system in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
- Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
- Participate in required orientations and instructor training programs
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabus; posting bio and photo on the UCLA Extension website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs.
- Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
- Respond to student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed
- Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
- Use subject-matter expertise to impart knowledge to students and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e. make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
General Employment Information
Employment as a UCLA Extension Instructor is dictated by contract terms and conditions. Please take the time to read the UCLA Extension Instructor Employment Policies.
For information on UCLA Extension instructor benefits, please visit Pay, Benefits, & Privileges.
Access, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AEDI) is one of UCLA Extension’s guiding principles. We strive to extend access to UCLA, our programs, and services to underrepresented communities and populations, while serving as a model organization for AEDI in the field of continuing higher education. Committed to attracting and retaining diverse staff & instructors, UCLA Extension welcomes your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Please visit our website dedicated to our AEDI efforts as an organization: Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion @ UNEX.
Instructor Resources: https://instructor.uclaextension.edu/
- Advanced degree from an accredited institution; MBA PREFERRED
- Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
- Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
- Highly effective interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
- Current participation in professional associations
- Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
- Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student download performance (PREFERRED)
- College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent) (PREFERRED)
Curriculum Vitae / Resume - Your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
References will be conducted through SkillSurvey 3rd party service.
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.