Position overviewPosition title: Instructor
In-person (Classroom) Instruction: $3,275 per course; Course duration: Academic Quarter
Open date: July 18, 2023
Next review date: Sunday, Dec 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Sunday, Jun 30, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Extension is considered one of the top institutions of its kind, offering to more than 35,000 students per year approximately 4,500 classes and non-degree certificate programs to meet the professional development, continuing education and personal enrichment needs of the full spectrum of nontraditional students as well as companies and organizations throughout and beyond the Los Angeles region.
Course / Program Description
The Department of Engineering and Technology offers a wide variety of certificate programs and courses including post-baccalaureate credit-bearing (400-level) and continuing education (CEU) credit courses. Course disciplines span engineering and technical management subject areas. UCLA Extension courses and certificate programs offer students the opportunity to learn from highly qualified practitioners who hold advanced degrees and are passionate about teaching and can impart knowledge within their field of expertise.
Construction Management instructor to teach on-site (in classroom in Westwood or Downtown Los Angeles) on a quarterly basis and ongoing. We are looking for professionals who can convey their industry experience and knowledge to our students using actual work examples and applications of topics covered in the courses. Industry experience is a must.
Several job openings are available in the Construction Management program. Qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and teaching experience in the following area(s) are encouraged to apply.
• Construction Management Fundamentals
• Construction Materials and Building Systems
• Construction Planning and Management Systems Using Primavera and/or Procore
• Construction Costs and Estimating
• Construction Blueprint Reading
• Legal Aspects of Construction Projects & Contracts
• Construction Job Site Management
• Land Development Procedures
• Construction Estimating and Design Analysis Using BIM
• Plumbing Systems Design
• Develop and/or update existing course syllabus in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
• Prepare course materials and learning assessments in Canvas
• Communicate and teach the course objectives and the specific learning outcomes to students.
• Weekly and preferably daily interaction with students’ discussion posts on Canvas to promote high engagement and collaboration for an optimum learning experience.
• Review students’ progress through the course and assign timely grading
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
General Employment Information
Employment as a UCLA Extension Instructor is dictated by contract terms and conditions. Please take the time to read the UCLA Extension Instructor Employment Policies.
For information on UCLA Extension instructor benefits, please visit Pay, Benefits, & Privileges.
Access, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AEDI) is one of UCLA Extension’s guiding principles. We strive to extend access to UCLA, our programs, and services to underrepresented communities and populations, while serving as a model organization for AEDI in the field of continuing higher education. Committed to attracting and retaining diverse staff & instructors, UCLA Extension welcomes your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Please visit our website dedicated to our AEDI efforts as an organization: Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion @ UNEX.
Instructor Resources: https://instructor.uclaextension.edu/
• Passion in teaching, subject matter expertise, and committed to course related development and maintenance.
• MS degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management and a minimum of 5 years of hands-on industry experience OR BS degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management and 10 years of hands-on industry experience.
• Professionals who are up to date with the latest tools, technologies, and innovations in the industry.
• Professionals who hold key positions within their industries.
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity.
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
• Highly effective interpersonal skills.
• College-level or higher teaching experience. (preferred)
• Experience designing curriculum on Canvas (or similar) and measuring student performance. (preferred)
Curriculum Vitae / Resume - Your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume.
No references will conducted for this recruitment.
Help contact: email@example.com
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.