Position overviewPosition title: Instructor
Open date: July 7, 2023
Next review date: Sunday, Dec 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Sunday, Jun 30, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Extension is considered one of the top programs of its kind, offering to more than 35,000 students per year approximately 4,500 classes and non-degree certificate programs to meet the professional development, continuing education and personal enrichment needs of the full spectrum of nontraditional students as well as companies and organizations throughout and beyond the Los Angeles region.
Course / Program Description
The Department of Engineering and Digital Technology offers a wide variety of certificate programs and courses including post-baccalaureate credit-bearing (400-level), continuing education (CEU) credit, and non-credit bearing general interest courses. Digital Technology course disciplines include applications programming, cybersecurity, data science, database Management and systems analysis. UCLA Extension courses and certificate programs offer students the opportunity to learn from highly qualified practitioners who hold advanced degrees and are passionate about teaching and can impart knowledge within their field of expertise.
The current opening is for our Cybersecurity courses. Qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and teaching experience in this area are encouraged to apply (teaching experience is not required).
Applications to teach are accepted throughout the year to fill immediate program needs and to increase the depth of the instructor pool.
The Cybersecurity Certificate is designed to provide the students the knowledge they need as IT systems security analysts, professionals looking to advance into the cybersecurity area, as well as those in the technology field who want to learn about securing networks, infrastructure, and how to defend against cyber-attacks. We are looking for instructors to teach the following courses:
• Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
• Information Systems Infrastructure Security Management
• Network, Operating System, and Database Security
• Cybersecurity Lab (Defensive Tools)
• Cybersecurity Lab (Offensive Tools)
These courses are held in Westwood, CA as well as online. Classes held in person meet once a week for 11 weeks -- weekday evenings generally 6:00 – 9:00 p.m
• Develop and/or update course syllabus in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform in face-to-face courses and as the delivery platform in online and hybrid courses.
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Evaluate student achievement of Specific Learning Outcomes and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
General Employment Information
Employment as a UCLA Extension Instructor is dictated by contract terms and conditions. Please take the time to read the UCLA Extension Instructor Employment Policies.
For information on UCLA Extension instructor benefits, please visit Pay, Benefits, & Privileges.
Access, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AEDI) is one of UCLA Extension’s guiding principles. We strive to extend access to UCLA, our programs, and services to underrepresented communities and populations, while serving as a model organization for AEDI in the field of continuing higher education. Committed to attracting and retaining diverse staff & instructors, UCLA Extension welcomes your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Please visit our website dedicated to our AEDI efforts as an organization: Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion @ UNEX.
Instructor Resources: https://instructor.uclaextension.edu/
• Minimum BS degree in computer science, information technology or computer engineering and at least five years of relevant work experience.
• College-level teaching experience (preferred)
• Experience in online teaching (preferred)
• Experience designing curriculum and measuring student performance (preferred)
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
Curriculum Vitae / Resume - Your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
References will be conducted through SkillSurvey 3rd party service.
Help contact: email@example.com
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.